Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Reflection

For this service learning project I have been volunteering at the Volunteers of America Food Bank in Everett. While volunteering, I have been given jobs including the restocking of shelves with extra food, passing out portions of food to families, and making sure everyone was getting the help in finding what they needed. So far I have visited a total of three times and put in nine hours. I have two visits left and I am sure they will be just as rewarding. The place where I have grown the most is my awareness for those in need while working at the food bank.
I had never known before this project, the amount of people that are struggling just in my own backyard. I had always heard people throwing out numbers of how many people are unemployed, poverty level, and homeless, but those numbers meant nothing until I saw the long lines we had at the food bank of people that were hungry and needed things to eat. There was a couple that were getting their food and supplies one day, but were having trouble picking things out because they lived in their car. The amount of items we could give to them that they could actually use was very small and I could tell they needed as much as they could get. I had never met nor seen anyone who lived at this level and I am glad to know that I helped them even in the smallest of ways.
The one thing that did surprise me about the food bank was the level of happiness of the workers, especially those who worked there full time. They are always laughing and joking with each other, which surprised me because I at first couldn’t understand why everyone was so happy in the face of so much struggle. But then I realized after coming back to work a few times that their level of happiness actually brightened the mood of everyone, both the volunteers and those who needed help.
Working at the food bank has been a wonderful experience and has broadened my view on the world just by a little bit of awareness. The happiness of the workers at the Volunteers of America Food Bank lift spirits and made the experience very enjoyable. I was glad to help even in the smallest of ways, and to know that someone or even a few people may be better off from my help.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your neat observations of the couple living in their car and the job of the volunteers.

    ReplyDelete